Color Week

Cameron May

The week of Oct. 25-29 was color week at Rusk High School. Each day, students dressed up in different colors to spread awareness about social issues.

TAFE Director of Education Awareness senior Emily Trowbridge searched for a topic for the TAFE Chapter to highlight and found so many that she decided on an event to highlight several of them.

“Our school is very involved in various awareness events, however I felt these specific areas also needed highlighting,” Trowbridge said.

She got permission from administrators to do color week.

“I emailed all the principals and counselors and received their approval and went to work on writing the messages for their daily announcements,” Trowbridge said.

On Monday, students and faculty wore green for mental health, an important issue for high school students.

“Promoting psychological well-being can have an impact on adolescence,” Freshman Counselor Kenzi Bixler said, “further supporting their physical and mental health in adulthood.”

Bullying is an issue that is very common in schools, so it was highlighted on Tuesday with the color orange.

“Bullying completely ruins and affects millions of people,” junior Lexey Cleaver said. “It is so vital that people are aware of bullying in order to prevent it and help people.”

Even though bullying spreads everywhere, people can also take steps to stop it from happening.

“We can help kids prevent bullying by talking about it, building a safe school environment, and creating a community- wide bullying prevention strategy,” Bixler said.

Some people think talking about suicide might promote it, but in fact, it has the opposite effect.

“The more we can destigmatize this topic and provide a network of support for individuals considering suicide,” Bixler said, “the more we can prevent it.”

One of the biggest problems in today’s world, is drug use, which was highlighted on Friday with the color red.

“I think raising awareness about drugs is so important because so many teens struggle with drugs currently and need to be informed about it,” Cleaver said.

Many of these topics affect schools on a daily basis.

“Hopefully, color week made an impact on RHS and our students feel more support because of it,” Trowbridge said.