Rusk High Rallies Again

Hailey Morgan

What do a Tik Tok dance challenge, the girls and boys switching football jerseys and cheerleading outfits, a relay race and glowsticks all have in common? They were all part of the football pep rallies of the 2021-2022 school year.

Since Covid, students had not been allowed to have any large gatherings, which included pep rallies. This year, however, Rusk High has been able to hold pep rallies again. 

“It felt pretty weird,” senior Parker Payne said. “It didn’t feel like an actual school year, so I’m really glad we got to have them this year.” 

The first pep rally, held on Oct. 15, included a TikTok challenge. A group of students from each grade level came up with their TikTok dance and competed against other grade levels.

“I thought it was gonna be a lot less exciting, but it was really exciting and fun,” freshman Gracie Trawick said. “You don’t know if the crowd’s gonna get involved but it did. If you’re doing a chant and they don’t get involved it’s kind of awkward and silent, but they really got involved and had fun.”

The second pep rally had a Pink Out theme, and the activity was a funny relay race. Students had to hand off a baton, scoot on a scooter, spin around ten times, jump through hula hoops, then pass on the baton to someone else. 

“I thought it was funny,” Parker said. “The racing, all of the spins, and people were falling.”

The final pep rally for the football season was a blackout pep rally.  Cheerleaders passed out glowsticks so everyone could participate.

“The dancing and the glowsticks brought excitement,” junior Ciara Colston said. “The crowd was energetic and happy.

Even though every pep rally was successful, each student had their own favorite.

“Everybody was involved in the TikTok dancing more than the others,” senior Allen Dotson, who announced at two of the pep rallies, said. “They were excited to see their favorite dances.”

Today, there will be another pep rally during Skinny to celebrate the Football team going to playoffs.