In Loving Memory

On Thursday, Sept. 9, the Rusk High School community lost a treasured member of its staff. Karen Mize served as the school librarian as well as Credit Recovery teacher. Ms. Mize touched the lives of many staff and students.

Staff and students, current and former, share their memories of her below. Additional submissions to be included may be sent to [email protected]

———————————————————————————————–

My dear friend,
This school and my life, personally, will not be the same without you. I cannot tell you how much I treasure the time I got to spend with you. I’m so grateful for every memory I will carry of you. I will remember all the laughs and lunches we shared. The trip to San Antonio and the baseball playoffs in Austin last year will always be cherished memories. I looked forward to so much more time with you and I still can’t believe our friendship was cut so short. Thank you for being my friend, for being the person I could always go to no matter what kind of mood I was in, the person who would listen, offer sympathy, get frustrated with me, share in my joy. I love you and know we will see each other again some day!
– Sheryl

*****************************************************

Whenever I met Ms. Mize I was sure that we’d be besties in no time. I’m so thankful for Mrs. Gates for sending me to her last year. If it wasn’t for her, we wouldn’t have gotten so close. Ms. Mize was such an amazing person and I’m extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to meet such a sweet soul. There’s no possible way I would be able to graduate without her helping me make up a credit. No one will understand how much her helping me truly meant to me. If there was a class that I really didn’t like I’d go sit in the library and talk with her. I will miss all of our many talks, endless laughs, our gossip sessions, and making boards for her. Thank you for loving me and caring for me so much. There will never be another one like you. Ms. Mize was one of the funniest people I know and I’ll never forget her.
– Chaylee Rushing

Mrs. Mize was the most wonderful person in the world. She was the only reason why I passed last year.
– Colton Currie

Mrs. Mize was a soul unlike no other who was very dear to my heart. She took me in after she figured out I was Sarah Wofford’s little sister my sophomore year. Just about every morning before school, I would head to the library to see the lady that had all the tea, the most contagious smile, and ability to keep me talking long enough I had to run to first period. She was an angel given to us by God and just so I know she’s my angel looking down on me right now. This year she was overjoyed at the fact she has me on her first period roster and one of the last memories I have with her is her, along with Mrs. Gates, Mr. Reyes, Mrs. Bixler, and Mrs. Ford, bullying me at the fact I was now known as the “Rainbow Child” with all the stars I had on my schedule because apparently I was a terrible student. She said she would never let me live that down. I remember she was excited to watch the Lady Eagle volleyball team this year and told me multiple times she would be screaming “Go Ponta!” from the stands along with Coach Stover. Mrs. Mize was my go to person, but I have peace knowing that now she can watch over all of us and be our biggest supporter from up in the sky with our Lord. I love you Mrs. Mize, your favorite book hater <3
– Kara Wofford

This whole school year I have anticipated you coming back to us. As I walk down the ramp next to the library I look in at your chair sitting empty and the air in the room is just not the same. There is no one playing Elvis and singing and dancing when you walk in. There is no longer the warming welcome she gives to everyone she loves and calls her babies. Mrs. Mize was the best person to receive advice from, talk to just because it wasn’t your day. She told everyone how proud she was of all her babies including the ones who have graduated. Rusk high will never be the same without her smiling face walking the halls and giving out hugs as she told kids to “Behave!” There is no more anticipation for your arrival Mrs. Mize, there is only the impact you left on everyone you have ever met.
I love you Mrs. Mize,
– Emily Towbridge

We weren’t very close, but close enough to be saddened by your loss. You always had a smile that was so contagious and a joy that could fill anyone’s heart. You were caring, understanding and always went out of your way to help others. I saw the light she had that really seemed to shine through this school. You’ll be missed but never forgotten.
Sincerely,
Shane White