Rusk Community Meets their Eagles

Jessica T. Payne/Tyler Morning Telegraph

Rusk mayor Ben Middlebrooks presents head baseball coach Ross McMurry with the city’s proclamation recognizing the baseball team’s playoff efforts.

Eagle Echo Staff

After dealing with a year of disappointing cancelation after cancelation, neither weather nor COVID could stop Rusk High School from celebrating its athletes at the start of the 2021-22 school year. On August 16, the annual Meet the Eagles event was held in the Coliseum after relocating due to threatening weather.

Meet the Eagles gives the community the chance to recognize all the athletes competing in fall sports. This year’s event was held immediately after open house.

“It’s a little kickoff to the start of the school year,” athletic director Thomas Sitton said. “It gets everybody excited about athletics and school starting off. I think it tied in really well with the open house.”

Meet the Eagles is a special night for all seniors because it is their last chance to see the school recognize all sports and their accomplishments.

“Although being a senior gives me mixed feelings,” varsity volleyball player Kara Wofford said, “I am very proud of how far I’ve come throughout my high school career.”

Team members are looking forward to everything getting back to normal this year.

“I hope it’s gonna be normal for us to travel and get to go to football games,” drum major senior Tori Green said. “I hope it’s a good year overall. I hope we compete well and that we
give it our all.”

Meet the Eagles is all about celebrating athletes, and that’s exactly what happened when the entire baseball team was recognized by Rusk mayor Ben Middlebrooks for their accomplishment of going to state. He proclaimed August 16 as Rusk High School Baseball Team 2021 UIL Region 3-4A Baseball State Finalist Day in Rusk.

“It feels awesome,” varsity baseball senior Will Dixon said. “It’s something that not a lot of people get to do, going to play at Austin, and I hope we can do it again next year.”

Meet the Eagles is great for the athletes, but spectators enjoy the event as well.

“It is important for students to attend Meet the Eagles because we can get to know the players and have fun,” cheer manager junior Sara Gonzalez Alonso said. “I’m looking forward to play-offs and spending time with the cheerleaders.”

The football, volleyball, cross country and tennis players as well as the cheerleaders
were recognized individually for their team involvement.

“It’s a crazy experience,” varsity football player senior Donavan Burist said. “It feels kinda good but sad at the same time because it’s the last time I go around with my brothas.”